Experience: License renewal at New Jersey DMV on F1 OPT


My morning started off early today. The DMV at Somerville, NJ is open on Saturday for limited hours from 8AM to 1PM. I did do my research on documents required to renew drivers license and got some idea. NJ follows 6-point system and according to DMV website, majority of points for a foreign national is the passport with valid visa and i94, followed by i20/EAD card. Before I continue with information that I learnt checking websites, let me list the documents required based on my experience at DMV today.

1. Passport with Valid F1 Visa
2. I-94 document
3. SSN document
4. EAD card
5. Latest Form I-20
6. Address proof
7. Debit Card

As one enters the DMV, wait for the receptionist to give a small form for license initial/renewal. Once the form is filled up, head to license counter and show the documents, people at the counter patiently verify and suggest documents required/missing. If satisfactory, head to another queue where they look at the documents again, click a picture, swipe the debit card and you are good to go. 

Initially, when I graduated from school and moved to NJ, I got my license transferred successfully in one shot. However, license renewal today based on my STEM extension EAD didn't work out, I was told to visit again. Why? Let’s see.

I had the STEM OPT EAD card (which I received couple of days back), but I didn't have the updated I-20 yet - which mentions my EAD is approved. I didn’t really think that I-20 was important as I had the EAD card in my hand. Also, don't forget to carry your debit card and address proof can be lease document or utility bills -electricity, water or even internet. Bank statement/credit card mails also work. Basically they need USPS recognized address on your name. And with license renewal you have an option to change the address on the license by presenting new address.

Now, I have to visit again with latest I-20. When I say latest I-20 in the document list, I mean the latest one with all the information updated. That was my experience of license renewal at New Jersey DMV today. I hope this helps others, to be prepared and avoid redundant trips! 

Comments

  1. Hi. I have a question regarding validity driving licence on F1. If I graduate in December 2019, and my F1 i20 expires on, let's say Dec 20, will the validity of my driver's licence (which I'll be taking in, let's say August) will be the same as i20 or for extended periods of time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Validity is based on your EAD end date. That's how it worked for me. Currently I got DL extended till end of my STEM period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! If I have my EAD but the F-1 visa in my passport has expired, will that pose a problem to get a driver's license? I know it doesn't actually matter but the DMVs can be a little finnicky about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may not be the right person to comment on it, I hope it was all ok👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Post your thoughts about my post:

Popular posts from this blog

Five Forces Analysis On Cola Wars & Soft drink Industry.

Travel Scrapbook - Indian Destinations!